Monday 29 March 2021

What's it got to do with Easter? Part 1: Bunnies

 I haven't posted here for such a long time, but I have thought a number of times I should come over. Not that I think anyone is particularly interested in what I have to say about anything, but on the off chance anyone is, I've decided to try and start posting again. My life has very few card making projects recently. In fact, most of my craft supplies are boxed up and in storage as we had hoped to move house in 2020. Alas, COVID 19 put paid to that idea! 

Baking has also been on a very sporadic basis, but I will try and do some posts on that theme soon!

I'm here today to start a series of posts about Easter!

I am super picky about Christian celebrations, and don't like to have them derailed by insignificant, or incorrect activities. So when I was approached by a lovely presenter at UCB 2 who I have done some previous segments for on the Nativity, I was excited to research the themes that are often highlighted at Easter. Bunnies, eggs, chocolate and the like!

So we start today with bunnies!


The story of the Easter Bunny is thought to have become common in the 19th Century, but writings from the mid 1600’s in Germany describe the tradition of a Hare (not a rabbit) who judged the children’s behaviour, bringing eggs to good children, like an Easter version of Santa. But why did he bring eggs? Rabbits don’t lay eggs after all, so it’s a good question!
It’s unclear if pagan traditions of celebrating fertility in the spring months led to this unlikely duo, or if the tradition of giving eggs linking back to the Lenten fasts overlapped.
Did you know in some parts of Switzerland Easter eggs are delivered by a cuckoo, and in parts of Germany by a fox?

So if the Easter bunny isn’t at all part of the true Easter story should Christians encourage it? With over a quarter of 8-15 year old children surveyed believing the bunny is part of the Easter story, it’s important what we teach our children, and be clear that the Easter bunny isn’t part of the true Easter story. That doesn’t mean we have to shun it completely, but, as with Christmas, we must keep the main thing the main thing. Chocolate, eggs and bunnies are fun, but nothing should take the place of Jesus, and the sacrifice he made.

Do let me know in the comments what your thoughts are about Easter bunnies, or what you choose to do to celebrate Easter!



No comments:

Post a Comment