Wednesday 19 September 2012

50th Golf Birthday Cake

Here is the cake I made for my husbands step mum this weekend. She loves golf, and supports Manchester City, so this helped decide the colour scheme.
The cake itself is a 9inch cake, and there are 4 layers of a lemon sponge sandwiched with lemon buttercream and lemon curd. I then coated the cake in the remaining buttercream and left in freezer to set before adding the green icing. I coloured the icing myself using colour pastes and ready roll white icing.


The 50 is cut with some number cutters from white icing, and layered onto some shield shapes which I had cut free hand. I modelled the golf clubs by hand and piped the sentiment. The golf flag is a piece of spaghetti wrapped with white icing so it held its shape and stood up completely straight.


The bunker is made with demerera sugar, the grass is green buttercream piped with a 233 nozzle. 

The cake went down really well, and people said it tasted as good as it looked!

1 comment:

  1. wow wow wow.....totally brilliant. from fasinators to fancy cakes, you sure are clever.

    ReplyDelete