Thursday 1 May 2014

3 is the magic number!

So we're over half way through, and for me today has been the hardest day. By the end of my teaching day I was HUNGRY, I can't remember the last time I was actually hungry. When I got home I had a yogurt and 2 custard creams to put me on to dinner.

I was really looking forward to tonight's dinner, fried rice, one of my favourite dishes! I'd boiled the rice last night so it would be nicely chilled before frying, and so when I got back from work I could just whack it in the pan. It was delicious! I posted the recipe last year here, but have slightly tweaked it, and its great (and only 30p a portion!) so I'll do another one.

Fried Rice - Serves 4
500g Smart Price easy cook rice
150g Smart Price frozen mince
250g frozen mixed vegetables
1 tsp mild curry powder
1 Tesco beef stock cube
2 eggs

1. Boil the rice, drain and cool (chill if possible).
2. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large wok and fry the defrosted mince with 1 tsp curry powder.
3. Add chilled rice and fry for 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile cook mixed vegetables in the microwave or boil in pan and then drain.
5. Add mixed vegetables to rice and continue to fry
6. Beat the 2 eggs and then make into a rough omelette in a frying pan and then chop and add to the rice.
7. Chop the stock cube finely and sprinkle over the rice to season.
Dinner is served!

Monkey was excited that we had pancakes for pudding, and I managed to make the value batter stretch to 14 small pancakes! I was stuffed after my fried rice, so I saved mine for later on, as I knew I'd probably be peckish.
I'm surprised about being hungry though, because the portions we're having are quite good, I'm assuming it must be because the amount of protein we're getting is lower than it should be.

We still have £1 of the budget left, and me and my dear hubby were trying to decide what we should spend it on. Should it be something for a treat, perhaps some icecream, or a bar of chocolate or packet of sweets, or should we try and use it sensibly and buy some fruit? What do you think?

PS. I apologise for the lack of photos, I will try and take some more tomorrow, as I know it makes for a boring post without!


No comments:

Post a Comment