Tuesday 22 May 2012

OLW88 - Mini Masterpiece

So this weeks One Layer Wednesday challenge was to create a mini masterpiece, limited to a 2 inch square, but with a sentiment allowed outside this limit. I'll be honest, I was inspired by Susan over at Simplicity to give this a go, and I'm so pleased I did, because I really enjoyed playing around a little with this challenge. Here I'm sharing 2 cards which use the same stamps, but highlight how small changes can completely change the look of the card.
Up first is the portrait version in mainly blue. I die cut the stamp shape in a piece of card using my cuttlebug stamp die. I then used it as a mask to sponge and stamp inside. I used Cracked Sapphire, Broken china and Tea Dye distress inks to sponge my background. I then used a music note stamp in broken china at a diagonal. I have a beautiful Papertrey stamp set called Postmarks, and it has these tiny little images that mostly I never use, but thought they would be perfect for such a small area. I also used a sentiment from this set.

Here is a close up of the 2 inch image. 
Here's the landscape version of the same card, with the sentiment going into the little frame.

I tried stamping the music notes in versamark this time, but it didn't show up very well at all. Inks this time were Tea Dye and Walnut stain.

I hope you're inspired by this mini masterpiece, I will definitely be using this technique again very soon. I might venture a little bit bigger than 2 inches, and choose a Spellbinders label for the shape!


8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous cards, it's a great challenge and you've made a great job, love them both, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! Very creative use of the stamp set! Great color combo too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have created such pretty little scenes. I really like the sentiment over a little bit of the coloured section; it balances the black image on the other corner.
    Heather T

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are both so pretty. I love the colors you've used and I like the sentiment overlapping the square, too. Ann Y.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful cards Bumblebee! I think my favourite colour is the first - I love the way you have the blend of blue and yellow in the sky - but I prefer the sentiment overlapping. This is such a fun challenge isn't it? Every time I see someone else's masterpiece I want to have another go! Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful! love the sentiment overlapping the image! Great image too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bee...you rocked this challenge! I love the blue in the first card...you've inspired me to perhaps give it another try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous cards Beth, you've really mastered the CAS genre. Love the robot below too and great colouring with the promarkers.(can't get on with them myself)

    ReplyDelete